Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Tips for Reorganising Google Drive


Over the years that I've been using Google Drive it has always been my intention to keep things well organised. In the most part I've been successful, but after reading an article recently about Unclouded¹, I thought it was time to see exactly how organised I'd been.

I installed Unclouded² from the Play Store and spent some time assessing whether I wanted to buy the premium app. The recent material design update makes it super smooth and very quick and it certainly delivers on its claims, "The revolutionary tool to help you analyse and clean your cloud storage" and if mobile cloud management was the key requirement, this would be the tool I'd choose.

Overall I was impressed with the Unclouded app, but the only thing I didn't really like was giving that level of permission to Google Drive, especially as it's a new (to me) app. So I had another think about the problem.

In the main part I wanted to find all the duplicates and be able to review and organise by file type as well as a general tidy-up. As I still have a Windows 7 machine that has the desktop version of Google Drive activated, I thought I'd see whether there was a tool that could sort cloud files but at a local level without the need for Android.

What I was really looking for was an Advanced Windows search that also found duplicates. After some further reading and testing I've settled on using a tool called SearchMyFiles³ which allows for cloud folder management, including duplicate search. Perfecto!

As a side note, SearchMyFiles can also scan and manage any other Cloud folders that are connected to a Windows PC, ie. Dropbox, Box, Bitcasa etc, which also means it's very easy to move folders and files from one Cloud to another! Over the next few days I'll be reorganising my cloud storage across a number of services both to help save space and hopefully improve productivity.

Let me know in the comments if you try out the tools mentioned, or indeed if you use a different method.


¹ http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/06/unclouded-app-lets-you-see-whats-eating-up-your-cloud-storage/
² https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.unclouded&hl=en
³ http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html
Tips for Reorganising Google Drive Reviewed by Paul Simbeck-Hampson on 11:26 AM Rating: 5
All Rights Reserved by Simbeck-Hampson Blog © 2014 - 2015
Powered By Blogger, Designed by Sweetheme

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.